His clients call Michael Lamonsoff “The Bull” because he never stops fighting for them. Thanks to “The Bull” and his team of top-rated litigators, the Law Offices of Michael S. Lamonsoff, PLLC., is consistently rated as one of the top personal injury law firms in New York City.
When you enter a supermarket or other retail store in New York, to browse or to shop, there is a reasonable expectance of safety. You have every right to assume that the store and the aisles will be well maintained, free of hazards and debris, and free of anything remotely slippery on the floor.
Supermarket and retail store owners and staff have a responsibility to have their facility welcoming and safe for any guest who visits. Unfortunately, all too often a quick stop at the supermarket or an afternoon out with friends turns tragic because of a lack of maintenance or careless merchandise displays that are unsafe.
If you or a loved one have had an accident at a supermarket or retail store, the award-winning attorneys at the Law Offices of Michael S. Lamonsoff can help. We are known for our uncompromising strength in fighting for the rights of accident victims, and we can get you the compensation that you deserve.
How long do I have to file a supermarket or retail store accident claim?
The state of New York imposes a strict three-year statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim. If you wait longer than three years, then the court will not hear your case, and your right to financial compensation will be lost.
With that being said, if you think you may have a supermarket or retail store accident claim, it is best to call the Law Offices of Michael S. Lamonsoff, PLLC, immediately.
The sooner an attorney is able to investigate, the more evidence will be available, and the stronger your case will be.
What types of conditions cause an accident at a supermarket or retail stores?
A supermarket or retail store has a high potential for danger if not properly maintained because of the nature of the things they carry and the vast amount of merchandise as well. There are any number of conditions that could pose a serious threat to any innocent patron. Here are some of the most common causes of accidents seen on a regular basis:
- Produce or Spilled Liquids – These items create slippery conditions on supermarket and retail floors. If they are not cleaned up properly or in a timely manner, they can create a huge liability. Additionally, a warning sign should be posted until clean-up is complete and floors are adequately dry.
- Unsafe Floor Mats, Carpets, or Tiles – Floor mats should lay flat. Many times they can end up being wrinkled or rolled half over which pose quite a tripping hazard, especially for those who already have a hard time walking, like the elderly, the disabled, or young children. Carpet should not be torn or frayed, and it should be free of wrinkles. Broken tiles can also pose tripping hazards.
- Careless Positioning of Merchandise – Merchandise should not be stacked precariously or on a display that is not sturdy. Merchandise that is too high, if not positioned correctly, has the potential to fall on an unsuspecting victim below.
- Debris in Aisle Ways or Stairwells – Scattered debris among the aisles or along stairwells pose a safety risk to consumers trying to maneuver their way around. It can cause people to trip and fall, things could fall on top of them, or the debris can send people tumbling down the stairs.
There are many other conditions that may also cause injuries such as improper lighting or broken glass from merchandise causing serious cuts. Floors that have been recently mopped and not properly marked can also pose a grave hazard. The list goes on and on. Business owners and staff must work hard to maintain a safe environment for consumers and for guests on a regular basis.
I came into the offices about a slip and fall in March of 2014 that happened at the Brooklyn Terminal Market.
From the first moment that I met with Michael, I was reassured that everything would be taken care of. I was kept informed throughout the whole process which made me feel confident that my case was being handled professionally and competently.
I received my settlement in February 2015 and am happy with the settlement amount. I would definitely recommend Michael to any friends or family in a similar situation to mine.
Over $500 million in verdicts & settlements for our clients
$16,000,000 Verdict Awarded to a Victim of Sexual Abuse
$12,157,000 Settlement in a Train Derailment Case
$11,750,000 Awarded to a Victim of Wrongful Conviction
$9,000,000 Awarded to a Victim of Municipal Assault
$6,500,000 Settlement in a Construction Accident Case
$5,500,000 Verdict Awarded in a Construction Accident Case
$4,750,000 Awarded to an Injured Construction Worker
$4,100,000 Settlement in a Construction Accident Case
$4,000,000 Awarded to Families of Flight 587 Victims
How can I tell if I have a strong claim against a supermarket or retail store because of my accident?
There are certain conditions that must be satisfied in order to substantiate a supermarket or retail store accident claim. These cases can be particularly complicated and usually involve lengthy investigations. These are the main conditions that must be satisfied for a premises liability claim in a supermarket or retail store accident:
- You must have been a guest, a shopper, or other authorized visitor of the supermarket or retail store.
- The owner and/or staff knew, or should have known about the hazardous condition, and they either did not do enough or did nothing to fix the problem.
- The injuries that you sustained are a direct result of the accident caused by those hazardous conditions.
If you have been involved in an accident in a supermarket or retail store, you should seek legal counsel immediately and call The Law Offices of Michael S. Lamonsoff, PLLC for a thorough review of the events that led to your injuries.
Whether you were at a retail business, supermarket or restaurant, if you sustained an injury due to the negligence of others, we are here for you. We invite you to contact us for a no-cost consultation. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Contact our office for a FREE CONSULTATION any time.
Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.