His clients call Michael Lamonsoff “The Bull” because he never stops fighting for them. Thanks to “The Bull” and his team of top-rated litigators, the Law Offices of Michael S. Lamonsoff, PLLC., is consistently rated as one of the top personal injury law firms in New York City.
Every year, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves new drugs and medical devices produced by pharmaceutical companies. The pharmaceutical companies put a tremendous amount of pressure on the FDA to speed up the approval for this so-called “good” of the public.
All of these new products, as well as those currently prescribed or sold over the counter, come with the risk of side effects. Anyone who’s watched TV is familiar with the fast talk at the end of drug commercials warning about possible side effects.
Are the reports on side effects accurate? Can a team of medical malpractice attorneys help? Do the drug companies provide all of the available information to the FDA and the public? If you ask the countless number of people who have suffered from the use of approved (yet dangerous) drugs, the answer would be a resounding no.
The global pharmaceutical industry is worth approximately $300 billion a year. As such, there is a conflict of interest between what the manufacturers want and what the public needs. In many cases, profit, rather than the public’s welfare, is the driving goal for these pharmaceutical companies. Fortunately, The Law Offices of Michael S. Lamonsoff, PLLC put the interest of the people before everything. We fight to right the wrongs of profit-driven pharmaceutical companies.
An experienced New York dangerous drug law firm is your best option
Pharmaceutical companies have legal teams to fight claims against their giant employers. Proceeding with a successful suit against a large drug company requires the expertise of a skilled dangerous drug attorney.
A competent, knowledgeable attorney knows the true value of a case and has the resources to front the expenses. Drug companies prefer settling cases for as little compensation as possible; an experienced dangerous drug attorney is willing to battle passionately to obtain the greatest award for the client.
Your dangerous drug lawsuit
The courts are overloaded with lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies claiming that their drugs caused harm. The companies are accused of concealing information about risks, under-reporting side effects, and using deceptive marketing practices. Additionally, the pharmacy and its employees are responsible for providing the correct medication and dosages.
Their responsibility also lies in making sure that an individual is not taking multiple drugs that do not interact well with each other. The damaging effects from dangerous drugs can range in severity. Minor effects include developing a rash or digestive issues; serious effects include cancer, internal bleeding, heart attacks, and strokes.
Each dangerous drug lawsuit against pharmaceutical companies may be filed as individual or class action suits, depending on the number of similar complaints. Aside from compensating the affected individual, a lawsuit against a pharmaceutical company has the added benefit of protecting people from suffering similarly in the future.
Bellwether cases have tested the legal waters for large cases to determine possible outcomes of future cases. This prompts out-of-court settlements where many dangerous drug lawsuits are filed. This is done as an attempt to lift the large burden of mass litigation off of the judicial system.
Some examples of drugs on the market today where there are pending and future lawsuits are:
- Risperdal – In 2012, Johnson and Johnson was fined $181 million for marketing Risperdal for patients with dementia without FDA approval. The drug, also marketed to treat bipolar disorder and depression, has been claimed to cause breast development in males that is reversible only by mastectomy.
- Transvaginal Mesh (TVM) – Thousands of lawsuits have been filed by women nationwide, claiming that the mesh eroded into the vagina. This caused bleeding, uterine, or other organ perforation, following surgery to repair pelvic organ prolapse (POP) or female stress urinary incontinence (SUI).
- Onglyza – Sold by Bristol Meyers Squibb, Onglyza is marketed to treat type 2 diabetes. Thousands of suits have been filed, alleging this drug causes pancreatic and liver cancer, as well as heart attacks in patients. These are just a part of an extensive list of effects that are suspected due to Onglyza usage.
- Invokana – One of many SGLT2 inhibitors, Invokana is used to limit glycol levels in type 2 diabetes patients. Sold under many names, these drugs have been suspected of causing heart attacks, kidney failure, and diabetes-related liver cancer.
- Xarelto – A popular drug used for preventing blood clots in patients with atrial fibrillation, this drug was first approved in 2011. The “no frequent blood testing” marketing gained popularity; sales for Johnson and Johnson, the U.S. rights owner, have topped $2 billion as of 2013. Xarelto has since been linked to abnormal bleeding that may lead to death. Lawsuits have been filed at alarming numbers because the drug was marketed prior to a hemorrhage-reversing agent being made available. Unlike Warfarin, whose effects can be reversed by vitamin K, a reversing agent is still in the works for Xarelto.
What compensation are you entitled to?
Drugs can have severe, lasting impacts on the lives of those who take them, not fully aware of the side effects. Failure of pharmaceutical companies to disclose this information leaves patients in unfortunate conditions. Some users may be unable to work any longer, continue to experience the suffering they hoped the drug would fix, or be incapable of living their lives the way they had before taking the drug.
Users harmed by these drugs may be entitled to various forms of compensation, including, but not limited to:
- Lost wages, both future and present
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of life
- Mental anguish
- Wrongful death
Over $500 million in verdicts & settlements for our clients
$16,000,000 Verdict Awarded to a Victim of Sexual Abuse
$11,750,000 Awarded to a Victim of Wrongful Conviction
$9,157,000 Settlement in a Train Derailment Case
$9,000,000 Awarded to a Victim of Municipal Assault
$6,500,000 Settlement in a Construction Accident Case
$5,500,000 Verdict Awarded in a Construction Accident Case
$4,750,000 Awarded to an Injured Construction Worker
$4,100,000 Settlement in a Construction Accident Case
$4,000,000 Awarded to Families of Flight 587 Victims
Contact the Law Offices of Michael S. Lamansoff, PLLC
The Law Offices of Michael S. Lamonsoff are eager to help anyone who has been injured or lost a loved one due to the use of a dangerous drug. Our dangerous drug attorneys will fight aggressively to recover the award that is deserved. If you or a loved one has suffered from a dangerous medication, reach out to the personal injury lawyers at the Law Offices of Michael S. Lamonsoff. We offer a free evaluation of your case. Do not wait, as statutes of limitation may apply.
To arrange a free initial consultation, contact us online or call our office at any time.
We provide full-service legal counsel to anyone who has suffered injury or illnesses because of the careless or negligent acts of others. We gather, evaluate, and preserve all evidence to support your claim. We will prepare and file all necessary documents and pleading required by the courts. We handle all personal injury claims on a contingency basis. We won’t charge attorney fees unless we recover compensation for your losses.