What to Do If You Are Hit by a Garbage Truck
Garbage trucks might seem too slow to pose a threat to motorists or even pedestrians for that matter. The truth, however, is that thousands of people are injured in garbage truck accidents every year. Due to their massive size, garbage trucks can cause serious damage to passenger vehicles and the consequences can be catastrophic if a bicyclist or pedestrian is involved in the accident.
In this post, we will take a look at the steps you need to take if you are hit by a garbage truck in New York.
Steps to Take after a Garbage Truck Accident
- Call 911 and file a report with the authorities.
- Take photos of your injuries, damage to your vehicle, damaged or broken personal belongings, the truck that caused the accident, and the accident spot. Try to take photos from different angles so that you can capture the true extent of the damage caused by the accident.
- Get the truck driver’s name, address, phone number, and insurance details.
- Talk to witnesses (if there are any) and get their names and contact information.
- Seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Any delay on your part in seeking medical help can not only worsen your injuries, but also jeopardize your chances of recovering damages, as the at-fault party might argue that your injuries are not as serious as you claim. It is why it is critical to get medical help in a timely manner. Also, make sure you preserve all the bills, prescriptions, and other medical records.
- Contact a reliable New York personal injury lawyer to discuss the possibility of suing the driver or the company or government agency they work for. The attorney will investigate your accident, determine whether you have a legitimate claim, and take steps to recover damages from the at-fault party.
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Garbage Truck Accident in New York?
Depending on the circumstances, one or more of the following parties can be held liable for the accident.
- The garbage truck driver (if they were drunk, distracted, fatigued, or failed to follow the rules of the road at the time of the accident)
- The garbage company (if the company was negligent in hiring the driver or failed to maintain the truck)
- The New York Department of Sanitation (if the vehicle that caused the accident belongs to New York City)
- The parts manufacturer (if the accident was caused due to a defective part in the garbage truck)
Injured by a Garbage Truck? Our Accident Attorneys Are Ready to Represent You
If you have been injured in a garbage truck accident, the commercial truck accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Michael S. Lamonsoff can provide you with personalized, result-oriented legal representation and fight hard to obtain the maximum compensation possible.
Whether the truck belongs to a private company or the New York Department of Sanitation, we will take all the necessary steps to hold them accountable and recover the compensatory damages you are entitled to under the law.
Our legal team is guided by Michael S. Lamonsoff – an award-winning personal injury attorney whose aggression and tenacity have earned him the nickname ‘The Bull’.
For a free evaluation of your case, call our firm today at 212-962-1020 or get in touch with us using our online contact form and schedule a free consultation with an experienced accident attorney.