The Cause And Effect of Blunt Force Head Trauma
Blunt force head trauma is a type of non-penetrating injury which is caused as a result of direct and forceful contact with a foreign object. The consequences of blunt force head trauma can be extremely serious and life altering. Blunt force trauma is a common injury personal injury accident victims deal with.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Blunt Force Head Trauma?
There are primarily two ways in which you can suffer trauma to the head.
An Object Strikes Your Head
- A brick, tool, or other heavy object might fall onto your head while you are working at, or walking by, a construction site.
- A crane operator might lose control and accidentally drop a heavy object onto your head.
Your Head Strikes an Object
- Car Accidents – Your head could smash against the dashboard or the steering wheel during an accident.
- Motorcycle and Bicycle Accidents – You could fall downs, get knocked over or get ejected from your motorcycle or bicycle and hit your head on the pavement or road.
- Fall Accidents – You could fall from a ladder, the roof of your house, or scaffolding and hit your head when you land.
- Slip and Fall Accidents – Unsafe conditions on a property (a missing step, a missing railing, a large, uncovered pit, or a puddle of water) can cause you to slip and fall and injure your head in the process.
What Are the Consequences of Blunt Force Head Trauma?
The biggest risk associated with blunt force trauma to the head is that you could suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI). The most common types of TBIs you could suffer in an accident include:
- Intracranial hematomas
- Depressed skull fractures
- Diffuse axonal injuries
Common Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injuries
If you suffer a traumatic brain injury, you might experience a wide range of symptoms including:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blurred vision
- Slurred speech
- Ringing in the ears
- Memory loss
- Increased sensitivity to light and sound
- Loss of coordination
- Rapid mood changes
While minor injuries to the brain can be treated successfully, severe injuries can leave you permanently disabled, requiring a lifetime of treatment and care.
Damages You Can Recover in a Blunt Force Head Trauma Claim
The damages you can recover in a brain injury claim include:
- Medical expenses (including the cost of emergency first aid, diagnostic tests, surgery, intensive care, and medications)
- Rehabilitation expenses (physical therapy, speech therapy, and psychotherapy)
- Long term care (if you are severely disabled and no longer able to take care of yourself)
- Lost wages (earnings and perks lost due to your injury)
- Loss of earning capacity (earnings and perks you stand to lose as a result of not being able to work in the same industry or not being able to work at all)
- Pain and suffering
Suffered a Head Injury? Choose the Right Personal Injury Lawyer to Fight For You!
Michael S. Lamonsoff is one of the most accomplished personal injury lawyers in New York today. Nicknamed ‘The Bull’ for his ferocity, calculated aggression, and never-give-up attitude, Michael S. Lamonsoff leads a legal team that has over 100 years of combined experience in handling personal injury cases. Over the years, we have recovered more than half a billion dollars for our clients through negotiated settlements and litigation.
If you have suffered a head injury in an accident, we can build a strong case against all the at-fault parties, negotiate with them on your behalf, and fight tirelessly to obtain a fair settlement.
To discuss your claim with an accomplished New York head injury attorney, call us today at 212-962-1020 or contact us online and schedule a free consultation.