After a Fall: Know Your Rights, and Protect Your Loved Ones
Working in construction can involve considerable risk. If you or your loved one has suffered from a construction site fall, this event may be extremely costly as well as physically and mentally debilitating.
Because construction accidents can be so traumatic, protective laws have been passed to help injured workers receive the compensation they deserve. After an accident, you will need to be sure that you take care to protect those legal rights. Here are some things that you will need to be sure to do:
- Seek medical attention immediately. After a fall, go straight to the hospital to have your medical conditions checked. If you need an ambulance, ask for one. Tell the ambulance attendants and all medical personnel everything that hurts. It is important to document all areas of your body which were injured as a result of the accident. This will allow doctors to treat the affected areas and avoid disputes later as to which areas of your body were injured as a result of the accident.
- Document your accident. Although your very first priority should be seeking medical care, it is also important to try to preserve evidence at the scene of your accident. If you are incapacitated, enlist the help of a co-worker or helpful bystander.
- Photograph the scene of the accident. If possible, take photographs of the location of the fall and all of its surroundings. If the fall involved faulty equipment, tools or scaffolding, be sure to get them photographed as well.
- Identify witnesses. Determine if there are any witnesses to your accident and seek their help. Get their contact information.
- Seek legal advice promptly. In addition to Worker’s Compensation benefits, you may be entitled to bring a lawsuit for considerable money damages for personal injuries, pain, suffering and financial loss. By engaging an attorney soon after your accident, you can ensure that evidence – and your rights – are preserved.
You should retain a New York personal injury attorney who is experienced in litigating construction injury cases. At the Law Offices of Michael S. Lamonsoff, we have many years of experience in obtaining substantial compensation for injured construction workers. Call our firm at 877-MSL-4LAW for a no-cost consultation. We will advise you on how to protect your rights and what your responsibilities are.